The children, elders, and their families are always excited to receive a letter from their sponsors! Your letters, cards, and photos are treasured gifts, and help them feel connected to you.
Tips for your writing
What should I write?
- Put yourself in their shoes – what would you want to know about a kind person supporting you with sponsorship?
- Your sponsored friend would love to know more about you, your family, your life, and your interests. What’s some ‘good news’ from your life you can share?
- Focus on your similarities: maybe you have children or grandchildren their age? Do you share an interest such as art, music, sports, or reading? Perhaps you could share a memory from when you were the child’s age.
- Words of encouragement are always appreciated. As their sponsor, they look up to you and your words carry great significance.
- If you are comfortable, sponsored children and elders love to receive photos of their sponsors and families.
- Please keep in mind: If you do not share a language with your child/elder, a staff member will translate your letter.
What shouldn’t I write?
- We ask you to avoid topics that draw attention to the disparity in your economic circumstances, such as major purchases or vacations.
- Keep to positive, child-friendly topics and refrain from disclosing too much private information.
- To protect your privacy, please do not include your address, phone number, email, or other personal details in the letter.
- Please do not include money of any kind. Click here to learn more about sending special money.
Send your letter to your child/elder
On the front of the envelope, write your child/elder’s name along with their code (AAA1234) which you can find on their correspondence with you.
Place the envelope and letter into an outer envelope and mail it to us: 101-26 Union Street, Bedford, NS, B4A 2B5.
We will send it to your child’s site during our next shipment, where it will be translated (if necessary) and delivered to your friend.
Be patient! Your letter is travelling a great distance and it can sometimes take months to hear a reply. Rest assured it will reach your child/elder and they will love it.